#TCRNO5 Poor Student Training Rush

by

So after being slightly overwhelmed by the mammoth news last week of receiving my golden TCR ticket. I decided a good way to let the news truly ferment, would be by going on a really long bike ride. What better way to start the new year and to reflect past, present and future (87% future). By riding to the Poor Student 200km (Oxford) and back making it a solid ECE 300km effort. On a beyond moist early 5am rise from Reading I headed into the Chilterns to the start point of the Poor Student. I was ambitious to get this done in good time with no faffing around. If I was going to struggle on a mere 300km in the soaking cold British weather. I would not be cut out for the TCR challenges. So this was a good mental early year test for me. To see how hungry I really am for this? Turns out I was starving...Was really good to get on my bike after 7 whole days. The initial 50 km did not phase me even though I was soaked from head to toe. I knew the day would be mild and the Cotswolds would warm up my little body. The audax got rollin' and I was riding well & strong with no issues with bike & health, apart from some mild fatigue in the final 30km of the Poor Student. That was to be expected, something I need to get used to. Was really nice to catch up with Oliver, an old Audax boy who I met on my first Audax last winter. We smashed it though Oxford centre and had a nice chat at the final control over coffee and a toasty. Although I didn't hang around.So I hopped back on bike and rode the final 50km back South to Sophie's. Catching a welcome second wind as I downed my coke filled biddon. After the first tough climb in the fog.I was pumped and really going for it. Returning home, charged. Feeling like I had been on amphetamines all day. The hardest thing I found to do that day was get to sleep...https://www.strava.com/activities/824450699





(Audax is fun!)